I’m one of the few to be blessed with myopia since I was 12 years of age ( Phew! I recently completed my 15th year successfully! ) All that I remember when I was first diagnosed with myopia.. was that I was so damn happy, only because I would finally look studious with that accessory (also known as spectacles) if not one ;)
For the unlucky others, who did not get a chance or yet to experience this physics of vision… a quick insight of myopia – also known as shortsight is when objects at a distance appear blurred, however the nearby objects would appear clearly. The degree of how blurred the distant object is denoted by a negative number (-2.75)… the higher is the negative number the closer you are to distant object blindness (I know, you may not accept it mathematically but hey this is physics!)…
In the last 15 years, I have managed to experiment with this default accessory of mine. My specs has been of all types, shapes, sizes and colors. To quote a few- Shell frame, metal, glass, optic fiber, frameless, the huge specs that would almost cover my face – I wonder what I was thinking when I chose that one! I guess I did not have much of a choice, the bill was paid by my Dad.. :)
I wonder if can I call my spectacles – an accessory anymore because it’s now part of me?!!? For all those who are wondering how is that possible, here you go… I have gone to sleep with my specs – thanks to my mom , she managed to save it all the time. I have splashed water on my face, with my specs on, in an attempt to wash my face and when I opened my eyes I almost thought I was turning blind, because all that I saw was a blurry /watery image in front of me. There have also been days, when I had wished my glasses have wipers like that of cars on those rainy days, when I used to return home from school riding my cycle, drenched and with a mild frustration of my ability.
On completion of my 15th year, my friend insisted that I try contact lens. I wasn’t really open to the idea, since I always thought it was quite scary for a foreign element to be seated on my cornea, instead I’d preferred the one that sits on my nose.
My friend not wanting to give up, persuaded me to buy a pair of contact lens…
For all those who are considering to switch to contact lens, I think it’s my moral responsibility to share my stint with that wonder…After having successfully postponed this act for about 3 days from the day of purchase, one evening I opened the contact lens pack – it was soaked in a solution called the lens solution.. It could remain soaked until 2013 unused- atleast that is what the pack read. My friend showed me a demo on how to place that thin circular, curvy transparent thingy called lens on the cornea. She took exactly about 20 seconds to place each of them on her cornea, she blinked about 5 times and voila it had set… It was now my turn… with not just butterflies, but bulls and bears in my stomach, it took roughly about three tries, before I managed to pick up the lens with my ring finger (Don’t ask me why ring finger! It was reflex action, I guess I thought I was picking kumkum – ignorant me!) After multiple attempts which took about 15 minutes, I realized that the ring finger was a wrong choice. And in all the tries in front of the mirror, I had to moisture the lens – soak it in the solution, as it would dry due to exposure to air. This time, I picked the lens in my index finger – as per the beginner’s protocol and my friend’s instruction to learners.
In the process of trying to fit the lens, my eye started watering, my friend who was witnessing my struggle, promptly responded that the lens was waterproof, so it was ok to cry wearing them. She seemed hell bent in me trying contact lens although I felt like boxing her at that moment.
After the tear act, I finally managed to place the lens on my cornea.. Wowww!! what a relief… finally the effort and my tears paid off… I looked around to see if the lens had an effect on my vision. To my amazement, the objects looked clear through one eye, while blurred through the other.. that was the first time, I experienced something like that…After a short break of about 15 mins… It was time for the other lens.. I tried and tried and tried finally gave up.. I looked at the time it was around 12 am… I managed to take the other lens off my eyes in a jiffy and I hit the bed… I haven’t tried them ever since…
Guess what… I realized I’m happy with my Titan Eye wear.. so what if I’m unable to shop goggles … Yes I have to get them powered before I use them… So !!?!
For the unlucky others, who did not get a chance or yet to experience this physics of vision… a quick insight of myopia – also known as shortsight is when objects at a distance appear blurred, however the nearby objects would appear clearly. The degree of how blurred the distant object is denoted by a negative number (-2.75)… the higher is the negative number the closer you are to distant object blindness (I know, you may not accept it mathematically but hey this is physics!)…
In the last 15 years, I have managed to experiment with this default accessory of mine. My specs has been of all types, shapes, sizes and colors. To quote a few- Shell frame, metal, glass, optic fiber, frameless, the huge specs that would almost cover my face – I wonder what I was thinking when I chose that one! I guess I did not have much of a choice, the bill was paid by my Dad.. :)
I wonder if can I call my spectacles – an accessory anymore because it’s now part of me?!!? For all those who are wondering how is that possible, here you go… I have gone to sleep with my specs – thanks to my mom , she managed to save it all the time. I have splashed water on my face, with my specs on, in an attempt to wash my face and when I opened my eyes I almost thought I was turning blind, because all that I saw was a blurry /watery image in front of me. There have also been days, when I had wished my glasses have wipers like that of cars on those rainy days, when I used to return home from school riding my cycle, drenched and with a mild frustration of my ability.
On completion of my 15th year, my friend insisted that I try contact lens. I wasn’t really open to the idea, since I always thought it was quite scary for a foreign element to be seated on my cornea, instead I’d preferred the one that sits on my nose.
My friend not wanting to give up, persuaded me to buy a pair of contact lens…
For all those who are considering to switch to contact lens, I think it’s my moral responsibility to share my stint with that wonder…After having successfully postponed this act for about 3 days from the day of purchase, one evening I opened the contact lens pack – it was soaked in a solution called the lens solution.. It could remain soaked until 2013 unused- atleast that is what the pack read. My friend showed me a demo on how to place that thin circular, curvy transparent thingy called lens on the cornea. She took exactly about 20 seconds to place each of them on her cornea, she blinked about 5 times and voila it had set… It was now my turn… with not just butterflies, but bulls and bears in my stomach, it took roughly about three tries, before I managed to pick up the lens with my ring finger (Don’t ask me why ring finger! It was reflex action, I guess I thought I was picking kumkum – ignorant me!) After multiple attempts which took about 15 minutes, I realized that the ring finger was a wrong choice. And in all the tries in front of the mirror, I had to moisture the lens – soak it in the solution, as it would dry due to exposure to air. This time, I picked the lens in my index finger – as per the beginner’s protocol and my friend’s instruction to learners.
In the process of trying to fit the lens, my eye started watering, my friend who was witnessing my struggle, promptly responded that the lens was waterproof, so it was ok to cry wearing them. She seemed hell bent in me trying contact lens although I felt like boxing her at that moment.
After the tear act, I finally managed to place the lens on my cornea.. Wowww!! what a relief… finally the effort and my tears paid off… I looked around to see if the lens had an effect on my vision. To my amazement, the objects looked clear through one eye, while blurred through the other.. that was the first time, I experienced something like that…After a short break of about 15 mins… It was time for the other lens.. I tried and tried and tried finally gave up.. I looked at the time it was around 12 am… I managed to take the other lens off my eyes in a jiffy and I hit the bed… I haven’t tried them ever since…
Guess what… I realized I’m happy with my Titan Eye wear.. so what if I’m unable to shop goggles … Yes I have to get them powered before I use them… So !!?!
4 comments:
Good one...
You have described eloquently what I have and haven’t missed ;-)
For the record: I belong to non spectacles junta
way to go renz... I bet no one can beat you when it comes to giving it a try no matter what!!
I am witness of all those tears :)
and I can bet one more thing i.e. no one wud wanna try contact lenses after reading this :) ... Titan Eye Wear sales to shoot up... cheers to Renu...
Trust u to frighten the hell out of those who want to be rid of their glasses. U ought to ask Titan to share their profits with u. anyways gud frightening.....sorry writing.
SO ????
Post a Comment