Thursday, January 7, 2010

Census survey – Whatever!

Just this morning, while I was watching Television, the door bell rang.
At the door was this guy in formals with a writing pad. The first thing he says on seeing me“ Census survey Mam“ He then looks at his writing pad and continues “ You, your husband, children, how many?”
To begin with I was absolutely flabbergasted by his speed and English ofcourse! Conveniently ignoring his question, I interrupted and asked “ Can I see your id ?”. He gave me a shocked look which made it quite obvious that he never expected this question!! This time I wanted to repeat “ Dick head, I asked for your id” , but yeh the polite side of me, silenced the first two words..
As he was searching for his id, I looked around only to realize that there were three other gentlemen from the same Census Jazz ransacking my entire neighbourhood of all their details effortlessly, just by saying two words “ Census Survey”.
Voila! Our man found his id card.. In a glimpse I found 6 lines of Kannada on both the sides of the card in red with no photograph! Giving him the benefit of doubt I scanned through more seriously this time looking for any traces of English or hindi.. he shoots back.. “Mam, Husband, children – edhara?”
While I could feel my Blood pressure slightly raising I replied “ I do not understand Kannada – so I don’t know what is in your id card!” He replies brilliantly.. “Mam this is by Karnataka Government so onnnnly (intonation intended!) Kannada”
By then my super helpful neighbor not understanding the context, barges in! “ Don’t worry Renu.. I ‘l talk to him in Kannada and give your information “ For a moment I wished I had supernatural powers..that I could punch his nose just from where I was ..” I replied courteously to him, “No Thank you” ( I hated the courteous side in me!)
Our Dude (Son of a Gun!)not wanting to give up.. and this time louder.. yells in Kannada “ Karnataka Governmentge idu ishta agalla…”
I responded.. “ kewl.. Please go get the police , I am not giving any information without your photo id”..
May be they were from the Census Dept.. infact I hope they were from the dept they claimed to be from.. considering they have all the info abt my neighborhood… Yeh Whtever!
At the end of this entire episode.. my neighborhood stood staring at me.. like I was some kind of an outcast and terror. I know I wasn’t unreasonable…But yeh.. I was pissed this morning for the cold stares and nobody to support my cause.. Thank God to my Gym session.. helped me to dissipate this episode!

4 comments:

kunalrulez said...

hahahaha - i think you got pissed not bcoz of kannada govt issue but the fact tht he considered you to have a husband and a kid (or two) - lol, lmao

Phani said...

ha ha ha good one...

I just dont understand our system at one point they want to flaunt around saying that bangalore is a very cosmo kind of city where lot of out side state and country ppl live happily at the same time they want to make non kannada speaking junta's life miserable!!!

Welcome to the Unity in Diversity Hypocrisy.

Renu said...

Kunalrulez - F(beeeeeeeeeeep) O (beeeeeeeeeep)

Renu said...

Phani: Precisely - Bangalore is cosmo.. but unfortunately - the Govt isnt.. I pay Prof Tax here.. not for TN Govt!